Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ellie was right!


For those of you who haven't yet seen Disney/Pixar's "Up," I highly recommend it. It might also help you make some more sense out of the references I make in this blog (like the title itself). =D

From what I have seen so far, South America is very much like the US. Buenos Aires has the same squalid yet elegant feel that characterizes large cities in the US and around the world. Once you leave the city, the landscape displays an uncanny similarity to the rural countryside that lines the highway as you drive from Houston to cities like Huntsville. Of course, there are differences, such as the blatant lack of political correctness here in Argentina. I haven't yet decided whether I like this open bluntness - on the one hand, it's refreshing to say things as they are, but on the other, it can be just plain rude...

I started this blog to share my experiences with all of you who have supported and prepared me for this journey academically, emotionally, financially, and in so many other ways. Generally speaking, I am studying abroad this semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina until the end of June, after which I will travel to Lima, Peru to volunteer until the end of July. I will use this blog to chronicle my adventures, so please become a follower if you are interested in keeping up with my journeys!

Last week was filled with a lot of learning, exploring, and conducting pretty much all of my conversations in Spanish! To be honest, I never really gave much thought to what I might expect during my time abroad, but from what I've experienced so far, I am extremely glad that I chose to study here. Buenos Aires is such a fascinating city - from its numerous immigrant communities to its diverse offering of cultural pastimes, the city offers a vibrant, heterogeneous culture that makes for an amazing place to learn.

We began with a 2-week orientation during which we took some Spanish review courses, sat through logistics presentations, and visited numerous places in and around Buenos Aires.

One day last week, we visited the countryside, where my lunch consisted of more meat than what I typically have in an entire week. I also tried mate for the first time. While I understand that people must acquire a taste for this herbal tea-like infused drink, I don't think I would mind not drinking it again...

We also got a chance to visit some of Buenos Aires' many neighborhoods. Recoleta, one of the most affluent parts of the city, appears to have a very large European influence. It is home to the architectural wonder, Floralis Genérica, and La Recoleta Cemetery, the resting site of Eva Perón and numerous other notable and wealthy porteños.

Then there is La Boca, a quaint, lower-class neighborhood characterized by brightly colored houses constructed with scrap wood and corrugated tin. The area is filled with the constant sights and sounds of local tango dancers.

Though Puerto Madero is immediately adjacent to La Boca, it provides a strikingly different atmosphere. It is the most modern, posh area of the city, where interestingly enough, all street names and the port's bridge are named in honor of the important women in Argentine history.

I still have yet to visit many of the other areas that make Buenos Aires tick, so all I can do now is promise that I will keep you updated on those future adventures! In the meantime, feel free to check out some additional (unfiltered, unedited) photos at:

'Til next time!