Thursday, June 10, 2010

Buenos Aires Highlights - Part II


Russell: Sometimes, it's the boring stuff I remember most.

It's been over three and a half months since I first arrived in Buenos Aires. As I reflect on all the experiences that have defined semester abroad, I realize that up until now, I've only shared the exciting things - the special events, my excursions outside of the city, and anything else that would be considered out of the ordinary. As a result, I'm devoting this blog post to all things mundane. I know I'll come to appreciate all of these elements much more after I finish my semester in two weeks, but for now, these are the "normal" aspects of my life in Buenos Aires.

ACADEMICS: Of course, there's no "study abroad" without the "study" component. I'm lucky in that I don't need to fulfill any requirements for Rice, so when I registered for classes, I chose the ones that sounded the most interesting . In addition to 9 hours of Spanish, I'm enrolled in English-taught globalization and human rights classes. These courses are nowhere near to to as challenging as the ones I take back at home, but I've still learned quite a bit.

INTERNSHIP: My human rights seminar includes an internship component through which I volunteer 10 hours/week at the Casa de Galilea, a human development organization that serves the villa (euphemism for shantytown) La Cava outside of San Isidro, one of the higher-end suburbs of Buenos Aires. The experience has truly opened my eyes to the level of poverty and income inequality that exists in Latin America. Though I am glad that I am able to contribute in some ways through Spanish-English translations, database updates, and research on funding opportunities, every week, I leave the organization still feeling unsettled and desperate to offer more. I think it's the funding research that is most difficult for me, for while the residents of La Cava and numerous other shantytowns throughout Latin America desperately need support, most development funds typically go to Africa and South Asia, areas that need those resources even more. As a result, organizations like the Casa de Galilea can only cater their programs to a limited number of children, women, and families in the neighborhood. It's frustrating because what a lot of people fail to understand is that by simply investing a relatively small amount in these types of initiatives, we promote the self-reliance needed to help these families raise themselves out of poverty, become productive members of society, and give back. For instance, one of the women with whom I work grew up in La Cava herself but was fortunate enough to receive a scholarship to pursue nonprofit studies at a local university. She is now the General Coordinator the organization.

OTHER ACTIVITIES: If this study abroad experience has done anything for me, it has helped me realize that it is indeed a small world after all. The fact that I can now communicate well enough in Spanish to connect and relate to other people opens up the possibility to traveling to so many other places in the world to explore, learn, and hopefully, contribute something in return. Without a doubt, the language acquisition process has not been easy, and there is still so much more that I need to learn! However, I've been lucky enough to have plenty of help along the way, outside of my actual Spanish classes.

In addition to gaining tons of exposure at my internship (6 straight hours with people who speak no English does a lot when you're learning a language!) and with my homestay, my "language partner," Mica, has been a huge help. We meet over coffee every week and just talk - half in Spanish, half in English. I'm incredibly grateful to have such an amazing language partner - I've learned so much about the language, as well as Argentine culture, from her! In addition, I joined my program's choir, so every week, I meet up with other American and Argentine students to sing songs in Spanish. It's been a wonderful musical outlet and has done wonders for my pronunciation, even my double r's.

During the first half of the semester, I also went rowing in Puerto Madero in order to get in my "exercise" while abroad. It started getting colder though, so I finally convinced myself to get a gym membership to balance out all the food I've been eating. I realize now how strict my diet and exercise schedule back in the States must be, for I'm quite certain that I gained at least five pounds from all the meat and bread that I've started eating here! It also doesn't help that Argentines basically eat four meals a day - breakfast, lunch, teatime snacks around 6 PM, and then finally dinner at 9 PM. I'm pretty certain that I'm not going to miss this schedule after I leave!

Well I should probably get to all the papers, projects, and studying that I have left! 'Til next time!