Then, while all of my newly made friends boarded their flights to return to the States, my family joined me for one last week in Buenos Aires, during which we re-visited all of my favorite sites one last time before I, too, had to leave. It was nice to be able to share so much of my experiences with them, as well as to have a taste of home before heading off for the next and final leg of my adventures in South America.
And so today, while my family headed back home, I arrived in Lima for my month-long Loewenstern Fellowship term. Though my orientation and service work do not formally begin until Monday, I can say that I am already extremely excited for all that this next month has in store. I will be volunteering at Hogar Nuestra Señora de la Paz, a hospice that was established by Mother Theresa in Lima’s La Victoria district in 1973 for a group of physically and mentally challenged infants, children and adult males. I know that the experience will be very challenging with regards to not only my volunteer responsibilities and the language barrier (though hopefully I can communicate a little better after living in Buenos Aires for four months), but also the emotional magnitude associated with my volunteer placement. In spite of these difficulties, I hope that I can make some type of positive impact, large or small, among the individuals who I will meet very soon.
Photos: